Saturday, October 8, 2011

Stuff I learned from mountains


Over the last two and half years I have spent a lot of time alone in the mountains, hiking and skiing.  This is me as my best self in my best moments and these mountains have so far taught me a lot of stuff.  Here's some of it so that when you have the choice to stay in bed or  get up and get into the mountains, you might just choose the better option.

  • Mountains need to be loved and respected
  • There are things in this world a lot bigger than any of us
  • I'll always feel way better when I finish than if I never started
  • Life holds surprises around every corner (including marmottes, 4000 meter views, wild strawberries and old mountain men making whittling wood)
  • Life doesn't have to be filled with words, silence is its own language
  • I'm not meant to understand everything in this life
  • Being close to nature is as essential as breathing for me
  • Following the seasons helps me learn about life
  • Staying with the tough stuff yields better results than trying to escape
  • Patience
  • I don't need to know everything before I start
  • Confidence grows bit by bit
  • It's ok to trust your instincts but sometimes you have to learn them first
  • You cannot get sick or bored of being in the mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment